GoPro have introduced their new line-up – the HERO8 Black, Mods and Max – redefining what’s possible with a camera. Here’s all you need to know, the release dates and retail pricing…
GoPro HERO8 Black – R7999.00
HERO8 Black sends it big with next-level HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilisation – dramatically improved stabilisation over the previous HERO7’s HyperSmooth 1.0. HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates, features a new Boost mode and has in-app horizon levelling. Also new, TimeWarp 2.0 features automatic rate adjustment and tap-control speed ramping. HERO8 Black sports four digital lenses so users can easily select a frame of view, improved audio with enhanced wind suppression, customisable mode presets and a lighter, frameless design featuring folding mounting fingers.
*HERO8 will be available at selected retail partners around the world from 20 October.
GoPro HERO8 Black Key Features:
- Streamlined Design – Frameless mounting with built-in folding mounting fingers, more pocketable and 14% lighter. The frameless design also makes changing batteries and SD cards even faster; plus, the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
- HERO8 Black Mods – Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than they ever imagined with quick-loading accessories that bring flashes, microphones, LCD screens and more to HERO8 Black.
- HyperSmooth 2.0 – Improved overall baseline performance and dramatically improved stabilisation in pitch-axis movement. HyperSmooth 2.0 also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilisation when desired. Plus, HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates and features in-app horizon levelling.
- TimeWarp 2.0 – Automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Tap to slow down to real time and again to speed back up.
- Digital Lenses – Toggle between Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
- Capture Presets – Customise up to 10 presets, or use pre-loaded video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots for quick access to settings
- On-Screen Shortcuts – Customise your screen with the shortcuts to the features you use most.
- LiveBurst – Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect 12-MP photo or share an amazing 4K 4:3 video.
- SuperPhoto with improved HDR – Capture killer 12-MP photos with improved HDR – while in motion or stationary – _with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
- Pro-Quality 4K60 + 1080p240 Video – Stunning video resolution, with studio-quality bit rate options of up to 100 Mbps and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video.
- RAW in All Photo Modes – RAW mode delivers the most flexibility and is now available for time lapse and burst photos.
- Night Lapse Video – Capture amazing time lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p or 1080p, all processed in-camera.
- Live Streaming in 1080p – Get HyperSmooth stabilisation as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
- Voice Control – Go hands-free with 14 voice commands in 15 languages and dialects; “GoPro, take a photo”.
- Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction – Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 10 m.
- GPS-Enabled – Track speed, distance and elevation, then highlight them by adding stickers to videos in the GoPro app.
- Transfer to Phone – Your photos and videos transfer automatically when connected to the GoPro app for on-the-go sharing.
GoPro HERO8 Black Mods – Pricing and availability to be announced soon
The Media Mod, Display Mod and Light Mod are modular accessories that add professional-grade audio, a front-facing display and enhanced lighting to your HERO8 Black. For those seeking additional performance, Mods enable users to transform their HERO8 Black into a production powerhouse.
Media Mod: The Media Mod delivers shotgun-mic directional audio performance and features two cold shoe mounts for additional accessories along with Type-C, HDMI and 3.5-mm external mic adapter ports.
Display Mod: The Display Mod is a folding front- or rear-facing 1.90-inch display that attaches to the top of the Media Mod. It’s the perfect size for both framing up vlogging shots and folding down and out of the way when not in use.
Light Mod: Waterproof to 10 metres, wearable and mountable on gear, the Light Mod is the world’s most versatile light. The Light Mod is ready to brighten any scene, whether mounted to the Media Mod or attached to a GoPro mount, and it comes complete with a diffuser to soften lighting when filming with HERO8 Black.
* Mods will be available for pre-order on GoPro.com in December.
GoPro MAX – R9999.00
GoPro MAX is a dual-lens GoPro camera that maxes out on versatility – it’s like having three cameras in one. Use MAX as a waterproof, maximum-stabilised single lens HERO camera, dual-lens 360° camera or next-level vlogging camera with its built-in front-facing display and shotgun-mic audio capabilities. No matter how you use it, MAX delivers next-level, unbreakable video stabilisation with Max HyperSmooth. MAX also features four digital lenses, including the new ultra-wide Max SuperView – the widest field of view ever in a GoPro. Additional updates include in-camera 360° video and photo stitching plus keyframe-based editing of 360° content in the GoPro app. GoPro MAX is like no other camera in the world – perfect for innovative users looking to take their creativity to the MAX.
*MAX will be available at selected retail partners around the world from 24 October
GoPro MAX Key Features:
- Built-In, Folding Mounting Fingers
- HERO + 360° Capture Modes – Switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360° footage.
- Max HyperSmooth – MAX gives you unbreakable stabilisation by using 180° capture as the ultimate buffer.
- In-Camera Horizon Levelling – In HERO mode, game-changing horizon levelling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look.
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360° and HERO modes. In HERO mode, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting + change from slow capture to real time in one tap.
- Digital Lenses – Four digital lenses make selecting a field of view easy and include the ultra-immersive Max SuperView option.
- Max SuperView – Our widest, most immersive view yet can be applied using digital lenses.
- PowerPano – Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270° distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Perfect for capturing action shots and epic selfies.
- Premium Image Quality – 5.6K30 360° video, 1440p60 and 1080p60 HERO video, 5.5-MP HERO photos and 6.2-MP PowerPano photos.
- Premium 360° + Stereo Audio – Six mics capture true-to-life 360° audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro.
- Directional Audio – Directional audio in HERO mode lets you prioritise sound from either side of the camera, no matter which lens you’re using – perfect for vlogging.
- In-Camera Stitching – Offload and edit your 360° footage in the GoPro app.
- Reframe + the GoPro App – Use the new keyframe-based workflow in the app to easily Reframe 360° footage into traditional videos and photos you can play back, edit or share.
- 1080p Live Streaming – Capture in HERO mode and share while you’re there in HyperSmooth stabilisation.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 5 m.
- Voice Control – 13 commands in 15 languages and dialects.
- GPS-Enabled – GPS captures your location, altitude and speed. Add GPS performance stickers to your videos in the GoPro app.
- Scene Detection – In HERO mode, MAX knows if you’re in the snow, at the beach, underwater and more.
- Auto Backup to the Cloud with GoPro PLUS – Offload videos and photos from MAX to the cloud – automatically.
The Updated GoPro App
And in case you missed it, all the goodness of the award-winning Quik app is now built right into the GoPro app. But that’s not all that’s happening. The Gopro app also supports both GoPro and phone content in edits, allows filters to be applied to single clips as well as multi-clip edits and now streams live at full 1080p resolution on both HERO8 Black and MAX.
The app’s auto-generated video edit feature also has four new themes inspired by iconic GoPro edits from the company’s in-house media team. Choose between Adrenaline Seeker, Adventure Travel, Cinematic and Memory Curator and share directly to social media or store within the app as an editable draft to revisit.
For more info visit GoPro.com.