Having raced at Budds Creek for Team South Africa at the 2007 MX of Nations, DNA Shredstix Yamaha racer, Gareth Swanepoel, went to Maryland on the weekend with some previous experience at the well-manicured and picturesque circuit.
A dismal qualification after trying some new settings on the bike left the South African with 18th gate pick for Moto 1. Swanie made the most of his start position as the gate dropped and he rode a solid Moto coming from 15th spot to 9th .
Taking advantage of a better starting position in Moto 2 Swanie quickly move into 3rd spot chasing fellow South African Tyla Rattray and Justin Barcia. He came under pressure from Dean Wilson and lost his podium spot to the youngster. Setting some consistent lap times Swanepoel started to shut down a tiring Wilson with Eli Tomac charging to join a three-way fight to the checkered flag. Swanepoel recorder his second 4th place of the season and occupies 8th in the standings.
“I really like riding at Budds Creek but to be honest I didn’t feel as good as I should have. The result on paper is satisfactory but it was one of those weekends were I didn’t feel comfortable. My start in the second Moto certainly helped and once I got behind Wilson I could pretty much post fast consistent lap times every lap. I then started to catch Dean and saw Eli Tomac was closing me down. Some back markers brought us really close but I had enough left in the tank to finish the Moto off strong. The last lap all three of us we were very close which must have been pretty exciting for the crowd to watch!” said Swanepoel.
The Lucas Oil AMA Pro National Series will hit the halfway point next weekend at the Thunder Valley National in Lakewood Colorado.
Budds Creek MX Park – Mechanicsville, Md.
Round 5 of 12
250 Class (Moto Finish)
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (2-1)
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki (1-3)
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (6-2)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (5-5)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki (3-9)
- Gareth Swanepoel, South Africa, Yamaha (9-4)
- Blake Baggett, Redlands, Calif., Kawasaki (7-7)
- Kyle Cunningham, Irving, Texas, Yamaha (4-15)
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Suzuki (10-10)
- Nico Izzi, Rochester, N.Y., Honda (8-13)
250 Class Championship Standings
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 174
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki – 170
- Blake Baggett, Redlands, Calif., Kawasaki – 144
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 136
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 116
- Kyle Cunningham, Irving, Texas, Yamaha – 114
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 99
- Gareth Swanepoel, South Africa, Yamaha – 91
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Suzuki – 75
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 72
Follow the Lucas Oil Motocross Championship on Twitter here.